October 19, 2012

October 2012 Malaysia Climbathon Pictures

I had a quick blitz of Borneo last week for 5 days.  I flew up from Perth to Kota Kinabalu (KK) on the island of Borneo via Kuala Lumpur (KL).  The main reason for the trip was to take part in the 26th Mt. Kinabalu International Climbathon.  At 4095 meters Lows Peak is the highest mountain in Southeast Asia.  Unfortunately, this is the first year of the race that it didn't summit Kinabalu.  So I would have to climb it my own two days prior to the race.  I am not in my best running shape having many injuries over the last two years so the 8.7km, 2200 meter trek to the top and back down took a toll on the body.  I somehow toed the starting line and finished what would be the most technical race I have ever run despite 14km out of 23km being on asphalt.  I decided not to carry a camera during the race but here are some photos I took during my time in the city (KK as locals call it) and my time in the mountains which are located approximately 2 hours drive inland.

Loved the people, loved the culture, loved the landscape, loved paying 30 Ringgits (~$10) for a 5km cab ride from the airport and only 20 Ringgits for a 2 hour ride to Kinabalu Park, loved paying 4 Ringitts for a huge meal of rice/chicken/soup at the night markets, loved paying 20 for a bed, loved sweating and being wet all the time (1 Dollar = 3.2 Ringgits).  I didn't do many of the "Must Do" things in Borneo such as Turtle Island, diving in what one avid traveler said was the best spot in the world -Sepidan, orangutans, mini elephants, white water raft, snorkeling.  I suppose I may never see all these wonderful sites the island has to offer but at least I made there and spent a few days around World heritage Listed Mt. Kinabalu.  And one thing is for certain- the 2013 edition of the Mt. Kinabalu Climbathon is on my racing calender.

A lot of pics.

















































































No comments:

Post a Comment